Sunday, March 27, 2011

The Weekly Resolution: The Weekly" Fail-Solution"

  • Monday: Dear Body, I promise to make it to the gym everyday this week and eat only healthy foods.
  • Tuesday: Dear Body, the baby is cranky today so I promise to make it to the gym 4 times this week and eat salads with every meal.
  • Wednesday: Dear Body, I am sorry my alarm clock didn't go off so I couldn't go to the gym and I didn't make it to the store to buy salad. I will work out at nap time.
  • Thursday: Dear Body, I promise to eat a salad at Chic Filet when we meet for playgroup and I will take a walk after nap.
  • Friday: Dear Body, I am so upset I didn't exercise once or eat well all week. I am going to pig out the rest of the week and start again on Monday. I promise!!!
Instead of 10 things you promise yourself, commit to one and make it small. Commit for a week to wake up 30 minutes early or drink an extra glass of water a day, NOT 8!!! Keep up those habits and then add one or two more. When you "fall off the healthy wagon" don't go all rogue and ruin it with 4 candy bars. Eat one and then move on. When you are a mom, life happens and you have to plan around it. You can't have your life planned around you. Your kids get sick, you have one too many errands etc..it happens. Pick yourself up and keep going. If you can't get to the gym that day try working out at home for 30 minutes or play an outdoor game with your kids. The point is, don't over promise yourself each week because you will most likely fail. That is how gyms profit: The New Year's Resolutioners! They commit for 3 years and make it for 2 weeks. When they don't lose the 30 lbs they want or get hurt because they went to 7 classes in a week, they quit. Do yourself a favor: quit making promises and just make small changes. They will add up over time and you will stop feeling like a failure on Fridays.
My favorite quote:  

A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step
Chinese Proverb


No comments:

Post a Comment